Celiac Disease ~ Feel Better

Recently diagnosed with Celiac's Disease, I am on a mission to feel better and be an educated eater. My symptoms began back in 1986..... originally diagnosed by my doctor as Spastic Colon ~ the new politically correct term is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Which turns out is a SYMPTOM of Celiac's Disease and not truly a condition to treat. 28 years later, with the help of a Naturopathic Doctor the REAL issue at hand was diagnosed! Celiac's Disease. Celiac disease is a condition that creates inflammation in the small intestine, and damage in the lining. This prevents important components of food from being absorbed. The damage to the lining of the intestine comes from a reaction to eating gluten, which is found in wheat, rye, and possibly oats. My symptoms have improved with the elimination of: Wheat, Gluten, Rye, Barley and Oats. Unfortunately, getting exposed to any of the offenders on accident is easy to do. Some of the offenders for Celiac Sufferers are listed on the ingredient list as another name. It happened to me on Sunday of this week, careful reading and review of ingested foods was not enough. Monday I suffered with Esophageal Pain all day. Back to basics it is for this girl! I have become a Short Order Cook for myself, the family gets one meal and I get another! My basics are protein foods - Organic Chicken, Eggs and Pork. Vegetables are limited to potatoes and carrots at this point. I have discovered that at this point in my healing, foods that are considered high in FODMAPS affect the healing process and digestive system while it is "damaged". Thanks for your support. I look forward to the day when food is not an enemy!! Resources to my healing: Celiac disease - sprue: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia http://www.dramymyers.com/2014/07/07/3-reasons-to-give-up-gluten/ Image Credit: Kids Health


 

Celebrate Gluten Free Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea