Invisible Celiac's Disability

I am a newly diagnosed Celiac. 
Living with an Invisible Disability is overwhelming and depressing. People can't see my sickness, disease and health issues. I don't have a gated walk as a stroke victim, I don't have a bald head from cancer treatment, I don't have a speech impediment, a limp, or a placard in my car to indicate that indeed I have been diagnosed by a medical team that deems me DISABLED.

I have been mocked for not going out to dinner, out with family and reading labels incessantly. "Gluten" is not understood by the people who don't have an intolerance to it or have a DISEASE that causes the Immune System to Attack it's OWN Body when exposed to Gluten.
Celiac's Disease can contribute to other Health Issues:


People who have celiac disease may have other autoimmune diseases, including:




  • Malnutrition. 
  • Loss of calcium and bone density. 
  • Infertility and miscarriage. 
  • Lactose intolerance. 
  • Cancer. 
My hope for my friends and family is to recognize the danger and seriousness of the Disease that I have. This is a LIFELONG battle that is not medicated with an RX .... it is handled by not exposing myself to Gluten via foods, cosmetics, cleaning supplies, personal care, and cross contamination. 

Invisible disabilities: 
Celiac disease is also considered an “invisible disability” under the ADA. “Invisible disabilities” is an umbrella term that captures a whole spectrum of hidden disabilities or challenges. Celiac Disease, Food allergies, and other intolerances are all considered invisible disabilities.



Family Medical Leave Act:
Celiac disease is considered a “chronic and serious” health condition, and therefore it is covered under the family medical leave act. What does this mean? Essentially this means that with a doctors note there are a specific set of rules that prevent a celiac patient from losing their job if an extended period of time is need off for celiac related reasons. If you live in Oregon, click this link for more information: http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_800/OAR_839/839_009.html
 

Celebrate Gluten Free Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Gift Idea